"yep, I am combing your hair with my fingers you motherfuckers."
frowns need friends too by sam pink was out from afterbirth books earlier this year. it is 154 pages, sometimes with more than one poem on a page. i found sam pink through coconut, then read his poem at pax americana, then read his poems in columbia poetry review 23 and decided to read a book. a friend on facebook recommended this book of his
the poems are usually made up of 1-4 line bits pasted together without much obvious connection between them. for me the book read like a string of punchlines
Board games make me want to kill.
i visited my mom and i had this book and she said sam pink 'is pretty morbid.' the speaker says they want underwear made out of eyelids and 'to cut thin sections off you, beginning with your feet'
the speaker in fnft has a deadpan tone like speakers in bsg, tao lin, or castro, wehrenberg jr, but pink's seems more smart-assed and outgoing
At a restaurant I saw a man with a very long beard. I said, "I like your beard." He said thanks. Then I braided my fingers, put my thumbs together and said, "What do I have to do to walk away with that bad-boy in my pocket?"
the speaker asserts a lot of things that seem logically or physically impossible
My face is held on by magnets. I can take my face off.
the speaker is portrayed as kind of gross/disgusting
I can't help but think of how disgusted people must feel when I give them a hug.
i liked some of the poem titles a lot. here are 4 of them
WHAT IT IS, MOTHERFUCKERS
WHEN I GO FOR WALKS I PURPOSELY BRUSH UP AGAINST BUSHES AND STREET SIGNS BECAUSE, I DON'T KNOW, IT JUST FEELS SO RIGHT
DICKHOLE
I STILL HAVE ALL MY TEETH, HOMEY
there are a lot of poems linked on the sidebar of sam pink's blog. here are two e-chapbooks by sam pink. here is fnft on the afterbirth books website
